So this is the state of my workspace:
It's pretty bad. It's also why I haven't been getting much done. I didn't clear it off after I got home from school, so the workbench was already pretty cluttered to begin with. Cleaning this mess up will be what I'll be doing for the next week probably (also my room too, it's also filled with electronic whatnot).
In the meantime, I did work on one project, this little Powerstat Variac:
It was in really bad condition when I found it. I don't have any before pictures from when I had just found it (I started on it while I was in school) or any when I started restoring it. Suffice to say there was a lot of rust and corrosion covering it. I spent a lot of time with a wire brush and vinegar trying to get the surfaces good to be painted.
The only thing that worries me is the coil itself. There were some spots where it had really bad corrosion that I had to somehow seal. I decided that the best way to do this would be to seal it with wax, but now I realize that if the coil heats up a bit, the wax may just melt off. The picture below shows the worst region after it had been sealed with wax:
Lastly, while I was pulling the electronics of the Akai further apart, I noticed a couple terminals that didn't have wires on them:
On the other side:
"transistor protection fuse" This makes me think that sometime when I was poking around in there I broke a wire off that went to these fuses, therefore rendering the amplifier useless. However, I can't for the life of me find any loose wires. So this continues to be a mystery. Doesn't matter too much though because of the state of the transport mechanism: